District of Columbia State Society Organized November 30, 1901

D.C.DAR HOME

CHAPTERS

LEADERSHIP

MEMBERSHIP

PROJECTS

HONORARY STATE REGENTS

CONTACT US

LINKS


 

Boundary Stones Committee
Endorsed April 1915

Marking the Original Boundary of the District of Columbia

Mile marker of the original Boundary of the District of Columbia

History | D.C.DAR's Contribution | Chapter Stewardship
Condition Reports | Boundary Stone Locations


D.C.DAR Gets Local Media Coverage For Boundary Stone Preservation Work

On Monday, February 27, 2012, D.C.DAR State Regent Shari Thorne-Sulima was interviewed by Fox 5 Local News regarding the preservation efforts that the D.C.DAR is completing at the Northeast #3 Stone. Our State Regent was accompanied by State Vice Regent Julia Rogers, State Assistant Treasurer Cindy Hays and State Librarian Brenda Baker Lee.

Special thanks to Cindy Hays for her assistance with this endeavor and also for securing the services of two local companies who are providing complimentary assistance on this preservation effort:

William Shelton
Capitol Tree Care, Inc.
(202) 234-0577
Tom Waggaman
Expert Welding & Co.
(301) 680-3613

Thank you, William & Tom, for helping the D.C.DAR restore Boundary Stone NE#3 to its original grandeur!


Update!  March 4, 2012 - Preservation efforts being undertaken at the Northeast 3 Boundary Stone.

.

D.C.DAR Commemorates the Laying of our Unique Boundary Stones
Saturday April 9, 2011

The District of Columbia Daughters of the American Revolution commemorated the 220th Anniversary of the Laying of the Boundary Stones establishing the District of Columbia as our Nationís Capital. The D.C.DAR welcomed President General Merry Ann T. Wright, the National Executive Officers, members of the National Board of Management and the National Long Range Planning Committee at a wreath laying at the North Boundary Stone. Following the ceremony, the assembly joined D.C. Daughters at the D.C.DAR Chapter House for a spring tea hosted in honor of the President General and her Executive Board.


State Regent Shari Thorne-Sulima with President General Merry Ann T. Wright and the National Executive Officers


State Regent Shari Thorne-Sulima with President General Merry Ann T. Wright and Commemorative Events-Anniversary of the Founding of the District of Columbia National Vice Chairman Martha Hilton

The North Boundary Stone

 


History

In 1791, after years of controversy and debate over the location of the permanent seat of government, President Washington issued a proclamation giving the exact boundaries of the "district for the permanent seat of government."  By late June of that year, all of the landowners had signed the necessary deeds.

 

The mile markers of the original boundary of the District of Columbia were put in place from 1791 - 1792 by Andrew Ellicott.  Larger stones are laid at the north, south, east and west corners of the original ten-mile square. The south corner stone was ceremoniously laid at Jones' Point on April 15, 1791.

 

In 1846 the Federal Government returned to the state of Virginia the thirty-three square miles of land that Virginia had ceded to the Federal Government in 1789. Fourteen markers, or boundary stones, are still located in Northern Virginia, and twenty-six are located along the D.C. - Maryland boundary.

 

There has been a gradual deterioration of these historic boundary markers due to neglect and a lack of concern.  Many of these stones have been buried or destroyed.

 

Back to Top

 

D.C.DAR's Contribution

On April 7, 1915, The DAR Committee on Preservation of Historic Spots and Records (for the District of Columbia) selected the reclaiming of the boundary stones as their project for the year.  The committee passed a resolution which later was endorsed by the State Regent and adopted by the state:

"That the D.C.DAR take up for part of their patriotic work for the year, the preservation and protection of the old boundary stones on which are recorded the oldest records of the District, by placing an iron fence around each stone, to be done by Chapter or individually."

Today the D.C.DAR continues to preserve these historical monuments and create public awareness of their importance.

 

On Sunday, October 14, 2001, a number of D.C.DAR members attended the formal dedication of Andrew Ellicott Park at the West Cornerstone in Falls Church.  The event was co-sponsored by the Arlington Bicentennial Celebration Task Force, the Arlington County Historical Affairs and Landmark Review Board, the City of Falls Church, Fairfax County, and the Nation's Capital Boundary Stones Committee.

 

On Saturday, October 20, the chairman spoke before the Historical Society of Washington on the 90+ year D.C.DAR involvement with the stones.

 

Back to Top

 

Current Chapter Stewardship Responsibilities

 

NORTH STONE:
Margaret Whetten

Northeast 2: Descendants of '76

Northeast 6:

Northeast 7: Colonel John Washington - Katherine Montgomery

Northeast 8:

SOUTH STONE:

Southwest 3: Colonel John Washington - Katherine Montgomery

Southwest 4: D.C.DAR and Fairlington Historical Association

Southwest 5: D.C. Children of the American Revolution
 

EAST STONE:

Southeast 2: Emily Nelson
Southeast 3: Ruth Brewster

Southeast 5: Eleanor Wilson

Southeast 7: Mary Washington

Southeast 8: Monticello

Southeast 9:

WEST STONE:

Northwest 4: Columbia

Northwest 5: Dolley Madison

Northwest 6: Mary Desha

Northwest 7: Judge Lynn

Northwest 9: Margaret Whetten