Margaret Whetten Chapter Members are a fun-loving group, who are very active on the Local, State, and
National levels. Prospective Members are always welcome!
If you are interested in getting to know us,
please contact Chapter Regent,
On November 10, 2012 Members and Prospective Members met for lunch at Clyde's Gallery Place, then visited the Wax Portrait of Margaret Whetten at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, DC. The portrait is part of the exhibit "A Will of Their Own: Judith Sargent Murray and Women of Achievement in the Early Republic".
On January 8, 2011, "Maggie's Girls" met at the Chapter House with several other D.C.DAR Chapters. Gayle Harris of the Eleanor Wilson Chapter delivered a wonderful talk about our local and national treasure -- the District of Columbia Boundary Stones. We also formally inducted a new member into our Chapter.
On May 8, 2010, we enjoyed a tour of the "Life, Liberty & Pursuit of Happiness" Exhibit at the American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore, MD. After the tour we enjoyed lunch, and then our incoming Chapter Officers were installed by D.C.DAR State Regent, Priscilla Baker.
Sponsored the Final Salute organization in applying for a DAR Special Projects Grant
Awarded a Gold ROTC Medal to a Georgetown University Cadet
Maintain two District of Columbia Boundary Stones: the oldest Federal Monuments
Read about the
State Regent's Project
Margaret Todd Whetten was a widow living in New York City when the British occupied it during the Revolution. Gifted with a “quickness of repartee and a rather pungent humor,” Whetten won the confidence of the city’s British and Hessian captors and used her influence to aid the American cause. She and her daughters provided food and clothing to American prisoners with such determination that the British jailors were reluctant to interfere with their acts of mercy. In addition, the Whetten home, dubbed “Rebel Headquarters,” served as a refuge for American spies. After the war, George Washington sent a letter of gratitude to Whetten for her service.
The Margaret Whetten Chapter maintains two of the original District of Columbia Boundary Stones, the oldest Federal Monuments. The mile markers of the original boundary of the District of Columbia were put in place from 1791 - 1792 by Andrew Ellicott. Larger stones are laid at the north, south, east and west corners of the original ten-mile square. The south corner stone was ceremoniously laid at Jones' Point on April 15, 1791.
NW #9 Stone
Plaque placed by Margaret Whetten Chapter in 1916