Chapter History -- the Founding Chapter
Since its inception, the Chapter has had numerous outstanding members. Three of the four Founding Members of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution: Mrs. Mary Smith Lockwood, Miss Mary Desha, and Miss Eugenia Washington were Founding Members of the Mary Washington Chapter. They, together with Mrs. Ellen Hardin Walworth, the fourth Founding Member of the National Society, are commemorated by a beautiful memorial in the C Street garden of the National Headquarters. Their portraits may be seen on the balcony of the DAR library.
The DAR Library was established in 1897. Dr. Anita Newcomb McGee became its first Librarian General. In April 1924, the Librarian General's Report stated, "The Mary Washington Chapter was allotted the entire upkeep and expense from the start, which responsibility they carried until the formal transfer to Memorial Continental Hall in 1930."
Mrs. Mary Smith Lockwood is credited with the suggestion of "building a suitable place for the storing of historic relics" - a forerunner of our beautiful Continental Hall and DAR Museum.
Miss Eugenia Washington served as the first Registrar General. She gave herself the number "1" on the Charter list of the NSDAR.
Miss Mary Desha is credited with suggesting the name of the Mary Washington Chapter, honoring the mother of the first President of our great country.
Mrs. Caroline Scott Harrison, wife of President Benjamin Harrison, was a Charter Member of the Mary Washington Chapter and the first President General of the National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution. The Mary Washington Chapter is indeed proud of these illustrious members.
The Susan Riviere Hetzel Chapter, founded April 5, 1911, merged with the Mary Washington Chapter April 18, 1994.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Any questions or comments, please direct them to Webmaster.
Site last updated 09/08/2012